Equine Assisted Mental Health is a healing treatment that combines credentialed mental health professionals and one or more therapeutic horses. Through grooming the horse or other beneficial activities, clients are supported and guided in learning more about themselves, working through difficulties, and improving communication and relationship skills.
There is a growing body of evidence that supports that EAMH has been effective in treating individuals with personal and psychological concerns, including:
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
• Eating disorders
• Bullying – both for the committer and the victim
• Substance abuse and addictions
• Depression and anxiety
• Autism and Aspergers
• ADD and ADHD
• Relationship difficulties
• Attachment issues, including adoption adjustment
• Low self-esteem
• Negative behavioural issues.
How can it help me?
Horses provide unique, unconditional support and a safe space for you to share your feelings and concerns.
Working with the horses in Equine Assisted Mental Health can help you to develop:
– Effective communication skills
– Healthy coping mechanisms
– Skills to support healthy nourishing relationships
– Self-worth and self-esteem
– Self-regulation and responsibility
– Skills for life
– Leadership and parenting skills
What Can I Expect In A Session?
You can expect to feel safe and supported throughout the session, both by the therapists and the horses that are there for you. A qualified counsellor who specialises in Equine Assisted Mental Health will facilitate your session. Together, we will begin to focus on your goals for your therapy at a pace with which you are comfortable; you are the priority.
Sessions will take place outside in the fresh air, and one or more horses will participate in the session. The horses are specially trained to be calm, safe horses. You will come to see why we so value their authentic contribution.